Find the Best Convector Heater Using Our Guide
This guide will help provide advice for choosing the right electric convector heater to suit specific needs. In it, we will discuss features one should look for in convector heaters, their salient features and situations where they are most suitable for use.
- What is an electric convection heater?
- Top 3 Portable Convector Heaters
- Key Features
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Power consumption
What is an electric convection heater?
Convector heaters (or convection heaters), as their name indicates, are based on the principle of convection heating. This means that the heater absorbs the cold air from the surroundings, blows it across a heating element and warms up your room by blowing the hot air back outside. A convector heater encloses a small fan inside to circulate the warmed air in the environment.
Top 3 Portable Convector Heaters
Dimplex 2 KW
Duronic HV102 Convector Heater Review
Duronic has once again created a sturdy and efficient heater packaged in one sleek piece of equipment. The Duronic HV102 Convector Heater is a promising convector heater that seems to do its job well. To find out whether it is capable of doing a good job and if its features can live up to the needs of people who are aiming to heat up their bedrooms or offices, we will check its features and specifications, as well as how others think of this convector heater.
Mica Panel Heater
Maximum Power: 2.5kW
Comes with a Remote Control
18-hour Timer Function
Overheat and Trip-Over Protection
Cool Touch Plastic Holdings
220-240V / 50-60Hz
So far, this oil-free heater has just about every feature one can look for in a heating appliance. It has amazing reviews and received very well by existing customers. The Duronic has manual models but this Duronic HV102 Convector Heater is more up to date with technology; it comes with a digital displace and a remote control, among other impressive features.
The Duronic HV102 Convector Heater achieves its full power in just 1 minute. Furthermore, it is lightweight which makes it easy to move around a room or transfer from one location to another. Its black finish and slim body makes it a sleek and classy piece of appliance that would easily match any room décor.
- Because the Duronic HV102 Convector Heater doesn’t use oil to heat, it only takes a minute for it to reach its full power. Hence, you can expect significant savings on your energy bill as compared to other types of heaters that take about 15-20 minutes to heat.
- Furthermore, there’s no dehumidifying effect and you won’t have problems with oil leaks.
- It has a thermostat which allows you to adjust the heat to your desired temperature. You can turn it on and not have to worry about it, it maintains the temperature you want and keeps running costs down.
- The remote control is very handy. It can be used to control on/off, temperature and timing.
- Trouble free cleaning, just a quick wipe over with a damp cloth.
If you get lucky, you can get the Duronic HV102 Convector Heater for under £70 which is way discounted from its original price of about £120. Despite the discount, this heater is still quite expensive as compared to other similar oil-free heaters that can deliver the same amount of heat. Probably the only bonus you get for paying the extra price is its great look and the remote control feature.
It’s not even surprising that majority of the customers who bought the Duronic HV102 Convector Heater are very happy with their purchase. There are several customers who shared how the item heats up a room quite fast and it works very well. In fact, as of writing time, it has 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Probably the only downside is that there were a few customers who claim that their Duronic HV102 Convector Heater stopped working suddenly after a few months or a year. It’s good though that there were a lot of raves about the post-purchase customer service where you can claim warranty easily.
“This is an excellent heater for the price. We bought it for my dad, to have upstairs, he can lay in bed and switch it on to heat the room up for himself, It heats up really quickly and dad says, all the heaters he had bought over the years Halogen ones etc, this one is by far the better one. He can control it via the remote control, and was impressed at how quickly it heated up. He also likes the design as it has an open body covered in a mesh. He is an electrician by trade and wants to know where everything is. But is very impressed a wonderful little heater for not too much money at all would recommend to anyone who was purchasing a heater“
Angela, Amazon Customer Review
“We haven’t got any before and I had read many reviews before which helped me a lot. At the end I have chosen Duronic was on sale and also had good reviews. This type is smaller one but has got a remote control and timer – that helps a lot. As we have electric heating and only one night heater downstairs during evenings is quite cold. But this heater does what it says. Quickly heats up comparing to oil ones and also is very light. Fils our lounge with heat very quickly.“
, Amazon Customer Review
“I am so pleased with the heater, I wanted one with a remote control that was light to move, carry, and soon heated up a cold kitchen or bedroom and after reading the reviews one with advice for making sure I had the batteries required for the hand set decided to order. It arrived even quicker than expected and was easy to install the wheels and foot on the base.“
Henry, Amazon Customer Review
The Duronic HV102 Convector Heater has been reviewed by 238 customers on Amazon and has been given a impressive customer score of 4.4 out of 5.0. Click here to read more verified customer reviews on Amazon.
Considering its price, features, excellent customer service and sleek appearance, the Duronic HV102 Convector Heater is quite a good choice if you’re looking for an oil-free heater. Though it is not the cheapest in the market, you will appreciate its durability and easy operation as well as energy efficiency which saves you more money in the long run.
De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater Review
Great value for money, efficient operation and energy saving features are mostly what customers are looking for in a convector heater. The De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater promises to provide that much-needed warmth in rooms and since it boasts of quiet operation, you wouldn’t have a problem about interrupted sleep or distraction as you work or study. Aside from being energy efficient, it is also slim and rather small which won’t take up much space in small rooms.
3-heat settings, 2kW heat output
Can be mounted on walls and may also stand alone
Weighs only 2.8 kg
The De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater is a slim and lightweight white heater and runs with a 2kW heat output. It is enough to heat up a small to medium-sized room without having to take a lot of floor space. It can be left to stand alone but it can also be mounted on the wall if you need to save further space. Spot heating at its best, the De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater has an anti-frost function and overheat protection for added safety. Since it only weighs 2.8kg, it would be quite easy to bring it from one room to another or move it to a different spot.
- Thanks to its 3-heat settings and adjustable thermostat, you can choose your desired temperature with the De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater.
- Another great feature is that it is lightweight and boasts of very quiet operation which is essential especially if you are avoiding distractions or interrupted conversations.
- Furthermore, while other convector heaters just feature the traditional free-standing piece of appliance, the De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater allows you to save more space in a small room, as well as easier distribution of heat by mounting it on the wall.
- Its 3-year warranty is worth a mention too.
Some users found that the manual should have given more detailed information on the power settings, thermostat usage and cleaning methods. It doesn’t have a fan, so will take a little longer to warm up the room.
Despite its few disadvantages, customers still find the De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater as an excellent convector heater. Those who have purchased took time to post online that they are very happy and satisfied despite the 15-minute waiting time to heat up. Customers also mentioned how it is easy to install and operate.
“I purchased this heater on the basis of good reviews posted by others, and am very pleased I did. I have checked its power consumption with an energy use monitor, and found it to be very efficient, with the thermostat maintaining the preset temperature perfectly.”
K Blockwell, Amazon Customer Review
“This heats up very quickly. Although electric heaters are not the most cost effective heaters, I bought this to heat up a room that is cooler than the other and it is a great heater. Great when using the computer and need some direct heat rather than heating the whole house. Good options on it for how much heat you need. A good price too.”
Bookworm, Amazon Customer Review
“A versatile neat and unobtrusive heater ideal for anything from frost protection to comfort heating. Easy to install with everything needed to either fix its legs on or wall brackets in a bag.“
S Swann, Amazon Customer Review
The De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater has been reviewed by 212 customers on Amazon and has been given a impressive customer score of 4.4 out of 5.0. Click here to read more verified customer reviews on Amazon.
Small yet powerful, the De’Longhi HCM2030 Convector Heater is actually a great purchase if you need a heat source for a small to medium-sized room. Its wall mount feature makes it an even more attractive item because it can easily distribute heat and won’t take up floor space. Since it is lightweight, it is easy to move around too. With all those being said, this product is definitely highly recommended.
Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater Review
Seldom will you find a heater that’s truly made for you. While there are some convector heaters that promise amazing features and excellent customer reviews back the heater up, you end up being disappointed by purchasing one that isn’t meant for the type of use you need. When you have a small or medium-sized room, a 2kW convector heater should be enough to provide much-needed warmth. However, you cannot expect the same heater to make a large room warm. If you are looking for a good convector heater that would be perfect for a bedroom, home office or your study room, the Dimplex 2 KW 3077 Convector Heater might just be the one you need.
2 kW heat output
Thermostat with frost setting
Two heat settings
Cool air setting that comes with the turbo fan boost
Can also be mounted on the wall (wall fixings included in package)
The Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater seems promising because of its three-year guarantee. Rarely will you find a convector heater that offers more than one or two years’ warranty so this one should be good because the manufacturer won’t offer three years if they believe they are selling an inferior product. For easier heat distribution, the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater can be mounted on the wall and in addition, it has a turbo fan boost. The turbo fan may also be used to for cooling during hot summer days if you use it on its own.
Perfect for just about any room in your home except the bathroom, the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater is fairly priced, durable and stylish too. It is just a matter of checking whether it would be suitable enough for your room size but other than that, it is expected to work well.
- Priced under £50, the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater is actually cheap for the features it offers. You may find other products with similar functions and features but cannot promise the same guarantee and durability that this Dimplex can bring.
- It looks sleek and stylish and can be mounted on the wall aside from its standalone feature. Because of that, it wouldn’t take much space especially when you have a small room.
- Use it in your bedroom, living area or even the kitchen—you will definitely feel warm and cozy with this convector heater.
- The Turbo element is great for quick heat just where you need it.
Probably one of the few downsides to the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater is that it lacks a remote control feature. While remote controls aren’t very common among convector heaters, it would be a good feature especially if you plan to hang the heater on the wall.
Most customers seem to be very happy with the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater. Many say that it heats up pretty quickly while others rave about its durability. However, there are also few customers who think that this convector heater is “just okay” because it is supposed to be silent but it makes a certain type of distracting noise when the turbo fan is on.
“Very good heater. We needed something quite powerful to heat up our large living room and it seems to do the job very well. The turbo fan is very good, doesn’t make too much noise either and it spreads the heat to the isnide of the room not just towards the ceiling.. I would definitely recommend this product“
Linda, Amazon Customer Review
“I bought this during the recent cold snap and it made all the difference to our cold kitchen and conservatory. It pushes out a significant amount of heat and warms up in no time at all, with the turbo fan helping to get things moving, although we found we didn’t need it that much. I’m interested to see just how much of a hit we’ll have on our electricity bill but considering the benefit we got from the heater it’ll be well worth it.“
S Keegan, Amazon Customer Review
“I bought this heater to replace the previous Dimplex heater that I had been using for 28 years until its recent demise. It does exactly what it says, not only heating as required but with the ability to set the thermostat for frost protection. I hope it will last as long!“
David, Amazon Customer Review
The Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater has been reviewed by 131 customers on Amazon and has been given a impressive customer score of 4.3 out of 5.0. Click here to read more verified customer reviews on Amazon.
Convector heaters are ideal for smaller rooms and offices. If you are looking for spot heaters, then the Dimplex 2 KW Convector Heater is a good choice. You can expect superior performance at half the cost of other convector heaters and definitely much cheaper than having to extend your central heating system to more rooms in your home. A useful form of secondary heating that one can move around the home.
Following are the main features of convector heaters:
- Versatile and portable-they are convenient for home, commercial and outdoor use
- Many models come with multiple heat settings, variable thermostat and convector heater timers
- You can even buy wall mounted convector heaters, though portability offers you greater flexibility to take it outdoors on camping trips etc.
- Many electric convection heaters come with stylish finishes, you can even select one for the children’s room having colourful external covers.
- Portable convector heaters are lightweight and come with carry handles to easily take it across from room to room or outdoors.
- There is no additional installation cost when you select portable convector heaters.
Advantages and disadvantages
Following are the advantages and disadvantages of convection heaters:
- They are excellent for heating an entire room, unlike radiator heaters which are only effective if you sit in one spot next to them.
- They re-circulate heated air very quickly to warm up a small-to-medium sized room quickly.
- They are safer compared to most types of portable heaters since their heating element is well covered. Thus, your chances of burning yourself are much lower.
- Compared to radiation type of heaters, the cost of electric convector heaters is a lot less.
- Portable electric convector heaters are not very suitable for extreme cold conditions, particularly if you are planning to take it outdoors in miserable weather. This is because; if there is an extremely cold draft of air, it could take much longer to heat the room and the re-circulated air would also be at a much lower temperature-which you are likely to feel.
- Most portable convector heaters use fans. Naturally, if these get overheated or fail, the inner plastic could melt.
- You have to be careful not to place the heaters near tall furniture items or other obstructions as these would simply block the hot air.
- Portable electric convector heaters are not considered very energy efficient. In particular, the energy loss of convector heaters is greater since the hot air is pushed upwards towards the ceiling.
Convector heaters are generally expensive to run when compared to central furnace heating. That being said, they are ideal for use when you do not want to heat the entire house but only a single room, in which case they cost much less to operate. You must select the right brand and model of the heater; based on that, they could consume anywhere between 500W up to 2000W of power.
Environments best suited to using portable convector heaters
- Portable convector heaters provide focused and localized heating and are ideal for supplementing your central heating. They can be safely used in rooms for the elderly, infants or even for people who are ill or have limited mobility.
- Good quality portable convector heaters are ideal for brutal winters when you want to warm your feet while watching TV etc.
- Depending on their size, they can be ideally used for heating a small-to-mid sized room quickly and efficiently. Small and compact convector heaters can be stowed away easily when not required.
You might also be interested in reading our Oil Filled Radiator Buying Guide.